DEWOT ------- A way of Teaching and Facilitation

To engage students full time during class was a big challenge for teachers as well as to build the concept I was using textbooks only as a teaching aid. It was the routine exercises which I was usually do as well as my teacher colleagues.  We just focusing on to complete the syllabus and not taking into consideration how much students understand the topic thoroughly. Along with this we used to instruct students to cram the answer and get good marks. As a govt. school teacher, we are expecting to do clerical work (data management) along with teaching. So we get very less time to develop interactive TLM.
As I got facilitation under DE program and came to know about structured approaches of teaching learning. DEWOT methodologies helped me to engage  students through  some physical activities, STW activity as well as P.K testing taking into consideration known to unknown , simple to complex concept   for Science topics i.e Digestion , Nutrition in plants ,Nutrition in animals , Fabric to Fiber , Separation of substances etc.

                  








To build a concept, I used to integrate technology. For science topics, we find it difficult to explain some concept without real or live simulation of that concept. At that time, technology helps. Animated presentation and videos provide more concept clarity of the topic and it also increased interest level of my students and caters their thinking level.




To reinforce the concept clarity, I used to apply practical for concepts under PBL because when students perform any task with their hands, this practical knowledge helps them to understand the topic more effectively & students don’t forget. Practicalities retain your memory for long time. These activities enabled the students to understand the concept with more clarity.


How much student understood the concept? There was always big question for me.  To overcome this problem, I started to apply forth cornerstone of DEWOT i.e Reflection. It’s important for a teacher to know that how much the students understood the topic.  To get a reflection, I usually ask real-life questions and create scenario which are indirectly related with the topic. This helps me to understand students understanding level. Even we get to know how my topic delivered.



Fifth corner stone based on research based questioning, When topic is delivered, we provide an opportunity to students to make a research on concept taught. Here under this section we asked open ended questions to students so that students explore it with their own way.
Thus I can say DEWOT helps us to learn-share-access-explore-apply the concept.

Sangeeta Shagwan
Science Mistress

GMSSSS Sec 20 PKL
Previous
Next Post »